The European Space Agency (ESA) is looking for a Security Engineer/ISO to join the Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes (D-EOP) in ESRIN, Frascati, Italy. As the EOP Information Security Officer, you will report to the Director of Earth Observation Programmes and functionally to the Head of the ESA Security Office, with responsibility for security activities within the scope of the ESA Earth Observation Directorate.
The ESA offers relocation support for successful candidates. Accepting job applications for a position from individuals who are nationals of certain countries in Europe, including Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. However, nationals from Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, and Slovenia can also apply as Associate Member States, and Canada can apply as a Cooperating State. Additionally, Bulgaria and Cyprus can apply as European Cooperating States (ECS).
Vacancy in the Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2–A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
Location: ESRIN, Frascati, Italy
Reporting to the Director of Earth Observation Programmes (D-EOP), and reporting functionally to the Head of the ESA Security Office (ESO) with respect to the ESA Security Framework, you will be tasked with security activities within the scope of the ESA Earth Observation Directorate and shall be entrusted with the role of EOP Information Security Oﬃce (ISO).
You may be required to fulfill the role of PSSO (Project/System Security Officer) for those projects in the Directorate managing limited infrastructure for which no dedicated PSSO could be assigned. In such cases, you will guide and provide recommendations to the programmes/projects in the areas of security management, security risk management, controls, and countermeasures with respect to the applicability of the ESA Security Regulations and Directives.
The ISO appointment will be endorsed by the Head of the ESA Security Oﬃce subject to successful participation in a dedicated aptitude examination conducted by the ESA Security Oﬃce. The minimum mark required to pass this examination is 60%.
Your tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Serving as the security advisor to D/EOP on security matters in general based on the input provided by all the relevant technical security specialists of the Directorate and the ESA Security Oﬃce; leading and coordinating a team of ESO resources supporting the EOP Directorate for security management issues as detailed in the Service Level Agreement;
- Providing coordination on security matters within the EOP Directorate with and among the various security forces of the Directorate, ensuring the proper implementation of the ESA Security Framework at Directorate and at project level in synergy and coordination with the ESA Security Oﬃce:
- a. Establishing and supervising the correct implementation of the Information Security Management Plan (ISMP) for the Directorate in coordination with and with the input of the PSSOs;
- b. Working in synergy with the ESA Security Oﬃce and the EOP project managers to exploit the assurance function within the EOP Directorate for the key EOP projects and for all certiﬁcation and accreditation activities within the Space Programme, as well as corporate activity at Directorate level;
- c. Supervising the correct implementation of the ISMPs in all relevant contracts;
- d. Promoting a security culture and implementing a personnel security policy for the Directorate;
- e. Providing and maintaining a security awareness programme for the Directorate.
- coordinating with the relevant specialists and services of the Agency on dedicated awareness sessions or brieﬁngs, for example with the ESA Export Control Coordinator or the ESA Security Oﬃce for COMSEC authorisation brieﬁngs;
- ensuring the reporting of EOP security incidents such as security breaches and the potential or actual compromise of information to the ESA Security Oﬃce, taking the immediate remedial measures required and assisting the ESA Security Oﬃce in any subsequent security investigation;
- coordinating with the Directorate’s Cyber Security Managers (CSMs or the PSSO) to ensure a uniform and commensurate approach to cyber security within the Directorate and its programmes in line with the ESA Cyber Security Strategy and the ESA Security Framework;
- establishing, maintaining, and managing the Service Level Agreement with the ESA Security Oﬃce;
- in coordination with the PSSOs, analysing, with the ITT initiating authority and the Contract Oﬃcer responsible, the sensitivity of the information generated, distributed, and received in the scope of a procurement activity, ensuring compliance with the ESA Security Directives.
- Result Orientation
- Operational Efficiency
- Fostering Cooperation
- Relationship Management
- Continuous Improvement
- Forward Thinking
A master’s degree in a discipline relevant to (cyber) security is required for this post.
You should also :
- be knowledgeable about the Agency and its internal rules, regulations, and working practices
- have experience working on Earth observation services or engineering systems
- have a general knowledge of physical security-related matters
Experience in Earth observation system engineering and certifications such as CISSP, CPP, and ISO will be considered assets.
For more information, please click here and Apply.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.