Renting in Italy: What you should know before renting?

Posted on February 19th, 2019

by Expats living in Rome

Renting in Italy The Italian law widely recognizes three kinds of home rental contracts:

1) Transitory contract - for stays of up to 18 months. Landlord and tenant can freely agree upon the price of the rent and the contract must state the reasons why the tenant needs the apartment for less than 18 months.

2) 4+4 contract This is a 4-year contract that can be renewed for an additional period of 4 years. The rent can be freely negotiated with the landlord. At the end of the first 4 years, the landlord can terminate the contract and refuse to renew the contract for other 4 years only for the following reasons:

  1. a)the landlord or people of his family want to move to the apartment, or he needs to use the apartment for professional or commercial reasons;
  2. b)the tenant has an apartment in the same Municipality and this apartment is available;
  3. c)the building must be repaired or renewed, or the apartment is at the last floor and the landlord wants to build a higher floor;
  4. d)the landlord wants to sell the apartment and he doesn't own another apartment in the same Municipality except for the one where he lives.

These reasons must be clearly stated in writing and must be real; otherwise the tenant can sue the landlord for the damages. The tenant can terminate the contract at any time as long as he gives notice in writing or by pec (posta elettronica certificata) within the termination period established in the contract.

3) 3+2 contract, this type of contract lasts 3 years and may be renewed for an additional period of 2 years under the same conditions of the 4+4 contract (see above). In this case, the rent cannot be freely agreed upon with the landlord. It must be defined following the specifications of the official charts established by regional real estate owners associations and unions. The official chart used to define the price criteria shall be attached to the contract for validity.

Remember: If the duration of the contract exceeds 30 days the contract must be registered with the local Fiscal Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate).

That’s all for now. Have a nice rent!


private italian spanish german french online














All Places

View all



Contact info