A legal alert for expats living in Italy!

Posted on May 11th, 2019

by Expats living in Rome

If you are a not an Italian speaker and you are about to sign an Italian contract you must follow this piece of advice by Legal Assistance.

If you are a non Italian speaker and you are about to sign a contract you should get the contract translated into your own language or into a language you can fully understand. Prevention is better than cure.

We strongly recommend you to contact your lawyer BEFORE signing any contract and BEFORE making any payment. This is the only way to fully understand the consequences of the contractual relationship you are about to enter and to protect your interests through the inclusion of other conditional clauses.

Regarding rental contracts, for example, it is strongly recommended to register the lease (NB the registration is necessary only for rentals up to 30 days). Under the Italian Law system a non-registered contract is invalid, it doesn’t exist.

Registration of the lease is not only an obligation established by law, it is also a guarantee for those who rent an apartment. In case of non registration, the tenant can’t establish the residency in the apartment, the landlord cannot sue the tenant who refuses to pay the monthly price and the tenant can sue the landlord to get the amount back (but this is not an easy procedure). There are also serious fiscal consequences for the landlord and tenant in case of non-registration.  It’s also recommended to make payments by bank transfer and not in cash. For more information contact us at


Read also:

Italian visas and permits to stay

Visas and Permits to stay: what do you have to know?

  Today Legal Assistance explains what types of visas and permits are there. Visas are issued by the Italian Embassy or Consular Sections of a foreign national’s country of residence. Permits to stay are issued in Italy by the Questura (Police Headquarters) having jurisdiction in the province where a foreign national is staying. Foreign nationals […]

filling out the papers

Useful information for expats about residency procedures in Italy

(This article contains useful information for British citizens in Italy in the case of a no-deal Brexit) EU legislation states that EU citizens have the right to reside on the territory of another EU country for up to three months without any conditions other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport. […]


Understanding Rome’s Zona Traffico Limitato (ZTL)

Major cities worldwide are limiting transportation in their city centers as measures to reduce urban smog and air pollution. Rome is no exception to this. Information on the city’s official website and other resources can be unclear so we’ve devised this comprehensive guide to understanding Rome’s ZTL rules and how they apply to you. The […]



The 2003 European Directive on the status of non EU nationals states that a long-term residence permit should be awarded after a person has lived legally in an EU State for an uninterrupted period of five years.  This however depends upon the applicant having a stable and regular source of income, health insurance and (when required by the […]




Contact info

Viale Carso 57, 00195 - Roma RM